Please feel free to leave a comment and express your point of view.

Friday, August 24, 2012

Role Reversal Rich Paying Poor


The rich should give a little more, to give to the poor. At least, that’s what President Obama is currently arguing. I’m not sure at all where this is even “fair.” Giving handouts sounds more like communism or socialist than capitalism to me. Putting everyone on the same level has been tried numerous times and has failed each time. Germany, the Soviet Union, and North Korea are a few of the countries where communism and socialist views haven’t worked or aren’t currently working.

The American people should be able to spend their money how they want to spend it. In America, everyone has equal opportunity; it’s just whether you strive to take advantage of the options we have. For instance, Oprah Winfrey was raised on a farm by her grandmother, but she allowed her circumstances to be her motivation. The results mounted to a net worth of over two billion dollars.

The rich don’t pay their fair share of taxes is the claim Obama is making. In 2009, the top 1% of tax-payers paid 22.3% of taxes and they only received 13.4% of their pre-tax income. The top 20% of tax payers paid 67.9% of taxes. The bottom 40% only paid 4.1% of the federal taxes. Obama’s tax increases would significantly harm small businesses because they are the nation’s biggest job creators.

Many Americans are outraged that Obama is trying to force the upper class to pay even more taxes with the current statistics.

An angry commenter, Jerry, stated, “What I don't understand is why should I pay my "fair share" if I never get my "fair share?" Why should I pay taxes for government "services" that I neither want nor need? It seems that I am just a cash cow for the people riding the government gravy train. This makes me a tax slave. The Left says that it is "noble" to help the "disadvantaged." I would like to know what’s so noble about slavery.”

























Other Information:
What percent are you?
Effects of Tax Increases
Myths and Facts about Taxes

Sources:

Crabtree, Susan. "Rich must pay more taxes, Obama tells voters." Washington Times. N.p., 10 July 2012. Web. 20 Aug. 2012. <www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/10/rich-must-pay-more-taxes-obama-tells-voters/>.
Dinan, Stephen. "CBO: The Wealthy pay 70 percent of Taxes." Washington Times. N.p., 10 July 2012. Web. 20 Aug. 2012. <www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/10/cbo-rich-pay-outsized-share-taxes/>.
Nell, Guinevere. "CBO Report Confirms Rich Already Pay Their "Fair Share"." The Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation. N.p., 12 July 2012. Web. 21 Aug. 2012. <http://blog.heritage.org/2012/07/12/cbo-report-confirms-rich-already-pay-their-fair-share/>.
"Oprah Winfrey Interview -- Academy of Achievement." Academy of Achievement Main Menu. N.p., 13 July 2012. Web. 25 Aug. 2012. <http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/win0int-1>.

10 comments:

  1. This is a great first post. I agree with you that people should spend their money the way they want to. You make a great point saying that it's about taking advantage of the opportunities we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people come to America in hopes of having a better life because there are many opportunities here, compared to many other countries. It baffles me that they want to make someone pay more money for others' services just because they did not take advantage of the opportunities.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you totally. It's my money so I should be able to spend it where I want to spend it. Government intervention is not helping this economy at all as you can see. Leave the government out of it and let the "invisible hand" take into affect. This is a really good article. I think you should be a writer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the government should intervene with programs that will allow people to consistently pull more money from the pot, while there isn't even enough money going in.

      Delete
  3. I think that this is a good post. I think that we should all have to pay equal taxes. Everyone should be equal and pay equal taxes. I agree that Obama's increased taxes would harm small buisnesses because it is already happening. Many buisnesses have gone out of buisness and people are having to look for new jobs. Increasing taxes would be bad for America

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In addition to harming small business, it would harm large businesses as well. Large business are just as important to the success of our economy as small businesses. For example, BMW employs hundreds of people if not more in the US.

      Delete
  4. This is a really good post. I agree that the more taxes would probably do more harm than good. I like the point you make that we have to take the oppurtunities we are given rather than handouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handouts just make you dependent on people and the government. Taking handouts from the government allows them to be able to tell you how much money you can have in the bank and control other aspects of your life. Handouts can be used as another name for handicap.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely agree with with everything you are saying. Obama is totally wrong. Why should I give my hard earned money away to people who are too lazy to get their own jobs? The Bible says if you don't work, you don't eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100%. This so called system,walefare, is beyond broken.

      Delete