When the athletes come in, all heads turn. I wish I had enough athletic talent to get a scholarship for any school.
I wouldn’t have to pay for a thing, but that is a distant dream. I’m just a
student who only has their grades to get them anywhere and nothing else…but I
still have a good chance of getting a full ride right? Maybe not because more money continues to go into athletic
scholarship funding instead of towards academic scholarships.
“The National College Players Association found that Division I athletes on a full scholarship in 2009 were left with an average shortfall of $2,951/year from their scholarship. Scholarships cover tuition, room and board, and books and supplies, but athletes are left to cover expenses such as food, clothing, and transportation.”
Forget the students who don’t play sports. Some students pay
half of their tuition plus room and board, books, supplies, food,
transportation, and clothing. The Division I board of directors are allowing
schools to disperse an additional $2,000 in athletic scholarships to make up
for this “shortfall.”
Athletes who graduate in the year 2015 are now required to
have a GPA of 2.3, instead of a 2.0 GPA. The students, who actually have
applied themselves throughout high school and have grades to prove it, are put
on the back burner for scholarships. Of the 2009-2010 rising freshmen athletes,
43.1 percent of men basketball players, 35.2 percent of football players, and
15.3 percent of all student athletes, would not have met this requirement.
It is a sad thing when a student with a 2.4 GPA is awarded more
scholarship funds than a student with a 3.0 GPA. The purpose of college is to
continue your education. Colleges have lost their focus offering full rides for
athletes, especially for those who do not have an academic drive for success.
Sources:
Sources:
North
Carolina A&T. Digital image. Ncataggies.com. North Caorlina A & T, 04
Apr. 2010. Web. 13 Sept. 2012.
<http://www.ncataggies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=24500>.
O'Neil,
Dana. "NCAA increases minimum eligibility standards for Division I
student-athletes - ESPN." ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports. N.p., 6
Aug. 2012. Web. 10 Sept. 2012.
<http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8236949/ncaa-increases-minimum-eligibility-standards-division-student-athletes>.
Toporek,
Bryan. "NCAA Raises Minimum GPA for Incoming Student-Athletes - Schooled
in Sports - Education Week." Education Week: Blogs. N.p., 27 Oct. 2011.
Web. 10 Sept. 2012.
<http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/schooled_in_sports/2011/10/ncaa_raises_minimum_gpa_for_incoming_student-athletes.html>.

I agree completly with this post! Athletes should NOT be offered more in scholarship money if they DO NOT reach the GPA requirements. There's a reason it's called being a student-athlete and not an athlete-student. Academics first, athletics second.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you completely. Going to college is about getting a quality education. Although sports are fun, I will never understand how schools can give so much money to athletes who barely pass their courses. Just wondering, what percentage of scholarships do you think should be given to athletes? And what GPA do you think athletes should be required to maintain to keep their scholarships?
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment. I think each student who receives financial aid should be required to maintain a GPA of at least a 2.5, which is average performance. I'm not sure what percentage of scholarships athletes should receive because I don't know the current percentage being given to student athletes.
DeleteI'm just mad that my tuition dollars go to cover the full rides for the some of the dumb athletes. If they are smart props to you, but them dumb ones... make you mad.
ReplyDeleteGood work Destiny. Very informative and clear. Very opinionated too! Love the many links and works cited page too.
ReplyDeleteThanks! :)
DeleteSports aren't every thing in the world, even if some people make it seem as it is. If you get injured then what is your worth now??
ReplyDeleteI for one am not a sporty person and use my brain the most. Scholorship's should be given to people who use their brain the most and get the highest GPAs. If we think about it sports can't change the world or how we think about it. While, people who have high GPAs can change the world, but can't becuase they never get the opportunity.
I agree with your comment, except it would be a big stretch to say people who have high GPAs never get the opportunity to change the world. It may be harder to get scholarship money or recognition, as someone who is athletic, but it is still possible to change the world as long as a person has perseverance.
Delete